The Culture of Beauty

Media conglomerates have achieved much of their global hegemonic influence through their success in niche marketing.  Let us look into the media's "culture niche"--in which female beauty is defined and "sold" differently within individual cultures. A definition differing in meaning across time and location? How can we believe in something so...undefined?



So how does the media affect women in these various "culture niches" across the world? How can a woman be beautiful in one place or culture but not across the global society? 


Recommended Articles

3 comments:

Raven said...

I agree--although there is a standard of the ideal beautiful woman, the media does set different standards for women of different ethnicities quite often. Whereas Jennifer Lopez is well-known and defined by her curvaceous features, the same measures would not be seen as beautiful if it were someone like Kiera Knightly. Or a Korean or other East Asian celebrity.

I admit that culture definitely plays a large factor in terms of what is regarded as beautiful features, but it is the media who goes on to create the "ideal" image and also who drives those cultural ideals to extremes.

Anonymous said...

I am Japanese, and it would never be considered beautiful to have very wide hips or darker skin. Growing up, my mom would always tell me to exercise and lose weight even though i weighed 90 lbs when I was 16--and all my white friends were for the most part well above 100lbs.

Anonymous said...

I hate that the media always portrays black women to be very voluptuous and racy and unclassy...the girls in the music videos are seen as very sexy to some and very slutty to others. Also, light-skinned black girls are always considered to be more beautiful--everyone in my family is very light except me, and my family is always telling me to stay out of the sun and get lighter and etc. I'm darker because of my genetic make-up--not because I bask in the sun!! And I think more dark-skinned black girls should be represented in the media because the majority of us are darker.

Post a Comment